Mecum’s “The Daytime Sale” auction will be taking place on August 23 through 25 in Monterey. Featured will be the consignment of seven exceptional cars from the collection of San Francisco’s Academy of Art University.
The university recently announced that they hired a new chief executive for its ‘Art on Wheels’ collection. Plans are to open that collection as a museum for the public instead of having it open only to students who are studying car restoration and design, or visitors who make an appointment. That will enhance its appeal to a wider audience.
The Art on Wheels grouping includes the following:
- 1929 Duesenberg convertible sedan Model J, which is expected to sell for between $1 million and $1.1 million. It was one of only 31 convertible sedans with a Murphy body. In 1991, it underwent restoration and won AACA Senior honors.
- 1971 Mercedes-Benz 280SE convertible, sold in the USA when new and later restored by Tito’s European Autohaus of California.
- 1940 Packard Super Eight convertible sedan, which producer and director Bill Wilder used to drive Ginger Rogers together with her mother to and from “The Major and the Minor” movie set.
- 1940 Cadillac Series 75 town car, one of only 53 produced and winner of Most Elegant honors at Santa Barbara.
- 1937 Mercedes-Benz 540K cabriolet B that has retained its original chassis, engine and body.
- 1936 Packard Super Eight 1404 sport phaeton, one of only two existing.
- 1932 Packard Eight 902 coupe, which, after being restored in 1993, was a Senior winner in the AACA Grand National.
More About the University
The Academy of Art University in San Francisco teaches car design and also has a vehicle restoration program. Approximately 250 mostly prewar cars give students examples of coach building and design techniques, but students also focus on contemporary vehicles as they learn how to create them for the future, with some of them becoming automotive interior designers. The cars being sold are to make room for more contemporary vehicles that are expected to relate better to the work of the students.
Find out more about Academy of Art University: https://www.niche.com/colleges/academy-of-art-university/